Tell City Hall No More "Raw" Dealings
The City of Dallas has made decisions on zoning and urban development that violate the integrity of neighborhoods and private property values. The City Council has made decisions at the expense of neighborhoods. These decisions do not align with the urban design and development previously approved by Dallas City Council. Good quality urban design is to promote a livable community that benefits neighborhoods and their residents.
On February 13, 2019, at the Dallas City Council meeting:
- A zoning change was required by Methodist to build a new fitness center in an ordinance protected no-build zone.
- Zoning changes that are contested by 20% of the adjacent neighbors require a ¾ vote of the council to pass.
- East Kessler Park had met the 20% requirement within the deadline filing rules which would have triggered a ¾ vote.
- City Council, led by Mike Rawlings, called for a vote to negate 1 affidavit after the city’s mandated deadline has passed.
- The City Attorney advised the City to keep the affidavit and not violate their own deadline/rules.
- The City ignored their own attorney’s warnings and voted to remove the affidavit without the required votes. This also violated the city’s rules opening them to a costly lawsuit.
- Methodist zoning request was passed illegally permitting the destruction of the buffer between a neighborhood and industrial development.
Remind Mayor Rawlings and City Hall that neighborhoods are the City's building blocks and preserving their stability is paramount. The implications of this decision will set a frightening precedent for how construction and zoning decisions are made at the expense of Dallas residents. City Hall’s unethical and illegal behavior affects us all – they betrayed our trust and changed the rules to suit their political interest. We must take a stand against the City’s pattern of power and intimidation of neighborhoods. We must proclaim our democratic right to fair and equitable treatment in our own city!
Take a stand for neighborhoods and sign below for No More "Raw" Dealings in Dallas in support of the lawsuit that has been filed against the City of Dallas for their illegal actions!